With 15 years’ experience in thatching, Jon Weatherhill Thatching covers thatching work in Dorset and South Somerset.
Free estimates available
We offer a prompt and reliable service to homeowners, landlords/agents and builders.
All thatching work undertaken from porches and repairs to full roof re-coats.
We are well established in the Dorset and South Somerset areas but mostly work within a 20 mile radius of Sherborne.
Jon Weatherhill served a 5 Year Apprentiship with Ron Gosney of Bradford Abbas (who when he finally retired had worked in the thatching trade for 60 years!). Training also included thatching and roof construction theory and practical sessions at Knuston Hall in Northampton under the guidance of tutors who were master thatchers in their own right.
- City & Guilds NVQ Level 2
- The Countyside Agency Certificate of Training
Our thatching services include:-
- Re-ridging work – from a traditional Dorset flush ridge to a Block patterned ridge.
- Single elevation and full roof re-thatching.
- Major and minor thatch repairs and on-going maintenance.
- Free annual inspections if required.
- Emergency repair or tarpaulin cover. This is free if the the affected area is booked in to be coated by us.
- Straw animals,
- Thatch Condition Reports (usually for insurance purposes).
Where possible we use locally grown organic wheat reed and thatching spars made in Dorset, using coppiced hazel or willow.